We all know that during the monsoon season, there is an increase in the proliferation of pests, insects, and microorganisms. As the humidity in the air rises, it provides a favorable environment for the growth of these microorganisms. When their numbers increase rapidly, they start contaminating various food items. Since we cannot see them with the naked eye, whenever food comes in front of us, we tend to consume it directly. As a result, we become prone to several gastrointestinal diseases. Although these microorganisms can adhere to various food items, momos are particularly favored by them. Therefore, if you have a craving for momos during the monsoon season, be cautious because it can lead to dangerous intestinal diseases.
Therefore, it is advisable not to eat momos during the monsoon season. Dr. Priyanka Rohatgi, Chief Clinical Nutritionist at Apollo Hospital, Bangalore, explains that the rainy season is a conducive time for the spread of infectious diseases. During this season, the risk of diseases such as cholera, typhoid, malaria, and dengue increases. If food and beverages get contaminated with bacteria, they can cause various diseases related to the intestines. Cleaning food items properly reduces the risk, but when things are not cooked properly, the chances of bacteria surviving increase.
Dr. Priyanka Rohatgi explains that momos are steamed. Therefore, momos remain undercooked. Due to their undercooked state, not only is there a higher risk of bacterial contamination, but there is also an increased risk of fungal and viral infections. In this case, there is already a risk even before consuming momos, and if they remain undercooked, the chances of bacterial contamination during the monsoon season also increase significantly. When these bacteria enter the intestines, they start killing the beneficial bacteria and eventually cause inflammation of the intestinal wall. As a result, the risk of diseases such as cholera, hepatitis, and dysentery increases.
Risk of other diseases: A few months ago, you may have heard about a person who died due to momos getting stuck in their throat. Following that incident, AIIMS issued a warning about momos. Dr. Priyanka Rohatgi explains that consuming momos continuously can lead to various health problems. She mentioned that momos are made from refined flour (maida). Bleach is used to make the flour smoother and whiter. Bleach contains harmful chemicals like benzoyl peroxide, which can affect the pancreas and increase blood sugar levels. Additionally, refined flour is ultra-processed food and lacks fiber. Consuming it excessively can lead to constipation, and the risk of hemorrhoids (piles) increases. Momos are served with chili sauce, which can aggravate bleeding in hemorrhoids. Momos also contain a high amount of salt, which increases the risk of high blood pressure.
Risk of cancer: Dr. Priyanka Rohatgi states that ajinomoto is used to enhance the flavor of momos. Ajinomoto is a chemical called monosodium glutamate (MSG). When scientists conduct cancer research, they use MSG chemicals to induce cancer in mice. This indicates the potential danger of this chemical.